Fine Art/Watercolor signed J.M.Sessions

I have a watercolor of a lifeboat with Pirates leaving a burning ship. The life boat is up front and the burning ship is in the background along side another ship. It has a tan 3 inch matting around the picture, the picture is 17 4/3 by 10 3/4.It is signed J M SESSIONS with 1 9 1 2 under the name. I think this is an original painting, how can I check this out?

Dear Craig, All of the many so-called watercolors by James Sessions sent to me have been prints. If you want to send me more information please follow my standard instructions.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed). If you have found my instructions somewhere on the internet, do not email me unless you go through

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.