Fine Art/collgraphs

I have 4 collgraphs. I am wondering if they have any value. The mats are integral to the prints. Each has a label on the back with the title handwritten in black ink, then "artist: ....., then "imported from Japan by the JB Millet Co., Boston. They are: Crane by Konan, Goldfish by Ritshu, Canaries by Rioko, and Tiget Lily by Chikusen. What do you think?

Collography (also spelt collagraphy) is a printmaking process in which materials are applied to a rigid substrate (such as cardboard or wood), The plate can be Intaglio inked, inked with a roller or paintbrush or a combination of all three. The Ink or pigment is applied to the resulting collage, and the board is printed onto paper or another material. Substances such as carborundum, acrylic texture mediums, sandpapers, string, cut card, leaves and grasses can all be used in creating the collograph plate. Leaves are used for the pigment, to do so they are rubbed onto the surface. Different tonal effects and vibrant colours can be achieved because of the depth of relief and consequent shadow effects and the differential inking that results from the highly textured surface. The resultant print is termed a collograph. The term "collography" is derived from the Greek word collo, meaning glue, and the English word graph meaning the activity of drawing. Collography is a very open printmaking method. Ink may be applied to the upper surfaces of the plate with a brayer for a relief print, or ink may be applied to the entire board and then removed from the upper surfaces but remaining in the spaces between objects, resulting in an intaglio print. A combination of both intaglio and relief methods may also be employed. A printing press may or may not be used.

Any print that is hand made or is not an offset lithograph, carries more value than decorative art.  Many old etchings and engravings as an example are still in the low hundreds of dollars.  Hard to say what you value is. It has to do with the artits popularity, age, the way they were made etc.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.