Fine Art/harrison fisher

Question
How can I tell if I have a print or an original? I have a picture of a women sitting on a park bench and a man standing behind her leaning over to kiss her. It is signed by harrison fisher with a date 1906. It is framed and mated with a brown paper back. I can send image if needed. thanks diane

Answer
Dear Diane,

Determining if your art is an original watercolor on paper or a print may be difficult for a novice. For your Harrison Fisher there are most likely three options: watercolor; original lithograph; or offset lithograph. There are other options if it is a new printing, but Iíll assume it is vintage.

If you have a high magnification glass, such as a jewelerís loupe, you can start by eliminating the offset lithograph by looking for a dot pattern. Distinguishing between an original lithograph and an original watercolor is much more difficult and would probably require inspection by an expert. I have some prints, especially pochoirs (stencils), where it is extremely difficult to tell them from original watercolors.

You may get more information by removing the print from the frame.  There may be printerís marks or writing that is currently hidden beneath the matting. You will want to be very careful in the process to keep from tearing or damaging the print during removal.

Another eliminating factor would be if you can find another print that looks exactly like yours. I tried searching for your print based on key words, but I was not able to find one. You may want to keep looking using key words like: Harrison Fisher couple in park; or similar wording that would describe the main elements of the scene.

Most museums have a professional that will take a quick look for you. Some art galleries and antique stores have people skilled in identification and they may be able to help you. I would not be able to tell from a photograph.

Best regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley