Fine Art/oil painting, Marden?

Question
Hello,
I have an abstract oil painting which seems to me to be a Native American and to my husband an army pilot. This is a wonderfully bright painting with so many colors. I purchased it at an estate auction in Maine.  It says '72' and is signed "Marden". Strangely enough, Brice Marden spent time in Maine around the time this painting was done. Is there a painter named Marden in the Maine area that you are otherwise familiar with? How would appraisal work safely for me? Thanks so much.

Answer
Hello Linda,

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an original Brice Marden? I did some research and I could not find another listed artist with the last name of Marden. On the paintings I was able to get information on, Brice signs his work as B. Marden; but there can always be exceptions. The good news is that the artist is still living and can verify if it is his work.

Sothebys has carried his paintings at auction. If you think you might want to sell it I would start by sending the photos to them. If they feel it may be a Brice Marden, they will have the ability to contact the artist for authentication.  

Good luck with your painting. It sounds like you enjoy its beauty regardless of its origin.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley