Fine Art/Koopman

Question
QUESTION: I have an older oil painting in an old or antique frame. It is a landscape and definitely done by a quality artist. It is signed simply Koopman. Do not think it is old enough to be Augustus and I believe John R. Koopman did mostly water-colors. So I am wondering if you have any idea who Koopman is. I have spent a lot of time trying to research this..but am hitting a wall. I would love to find somewhere where I could see other works of Koopman to see if they could also be by my Koopman...but only finding the water-colors and pencil drawings of J. R. Koopman. I would appreciate any suggestions or help you can give me. Thanks in advance for your reply.

ANSWER: I would have to see the image and compare to images I have access to.

These kinds of answers can take time and research, as you already know.

Dan

QUESTION: I bought this picture on e-bay. It has a terrific picture with it- it is item number 270225740926. I was the only bidder on this painting which surprised me as when I received it - it looked just like the picture. The frame is very nice and is old also. I love it no mater who did it. But I usually know something about each of my artists and it is frustrating not to know who "Koopman" is. So when you see this painting as you requested, maybe you will have an educated guess. Thanks for your expert ideas. I appreciate your time. Jane

ANSWER: I have seen so many like this over the years.  If an artist was not published by a printer/publisher, it can be difficult to trace them back to the originals. If the originals were sold in a specific region in a niche market, you would have to know where that is.

Ebay is riddled with fakes and prints. The term painting is used for prints on a regular basis.

In my opinion, you should enjoy the art. You paid a low price.

If you keep asking the questions, at some point an expert might have some history with the work. Each expert knows what they know.

You can study the Hudson river artists, Landscape artists from Europe, and so on and you will see this style time and time again.

Dan

QUESTION: Once again you have been helpful. Although you saw the picture in question...In seeing it up close...I have to say it is an original oil painting -very well done. Definitely not a fake or a print. I guess this might be a type of painting you see often...but I for one think it is of excellent quality..from a talented artist. Yes, I will admire and enjoy it and I do think I got a great buy on this. Just the frame might cost me that much. But some people will say, "Oh well" but not me. I will keep searching until I figure out in my own mind- who I think is the artist of this painting. Since you are the expert and seem to think that I study the Hudson River artists and Landscape artists from Europe...I will be happy to do just that. Please tell me how to go about that. I have tried to google "Koopman"..and Yahoo etc..They mention 3 Koopmans. One is a lady Chio (who does more cartoon looking art) Augustus who died in the early 1900's and although he did this kind of quality work...I do not think this painting is that old, and I do not think he signed his paintings just Koopman. Then there is John R. Koopman. He died in 1949. This painting I would think was done about the era he did most of his work. But he did mostly water colors. I looked at many samples of his work. Does not look like his work. He also did pencil drawings. See nothing to indicate he used oil. Went through so many lists...these are the only ones that I can find. So I ask your guidance to see how I can proceed with the study you suggest. Yes, I know it is a lot of work..for an inexpensive painting...but to me the dollar amount is not what is important. How much I like the paiting and what kind of knowledge I can gather about the individuals history and talents are what is important to me. Just point me in a direction that I can use the internet - that would be great. Is there any kind of all encompassing list of oil painters? Thanks again for any help you can give me. I know you volunteer your time to help people like me. Do appreciate it- Truely admire great art and artists. Have a good week-end. Jane

Answer
You might enjoy the Smithsonian Website and others like it and can study similar works. Keep in mind, if we find that you have the work of an artist that has enjoyed positive auction results and positive comments from a niche in the art world, you could have a work with good value.

Please copy all the text from our discussions and email them along with your phone number to:

collectdali@aol.com

I'll call you to discuss.

Dan

Dan Twyman