Fine Art/Lautrec litho - May Milton

may milton litho
may milton litho  
Hi, I have a May Milton litho (I know that it's an original), that has been glued onto cardboard and turned brown with acidity. I took it to a paper conservator yesterday for an estimate, and she said it would probably cost at least $1500 to conserve it. She felt I should know the market value of the print before embarking on a costly restoration. I saw one for sale on the internet (at Galerie Lareuse) for 25K, but it looked like it was in great condition. I couldn't access without buying a costly yearly membership that I would only use once, although I saw they do have some records of May Milton auction sales...

Do you have any notion of what a restored version of this print might be worth? Thanks, I really appreciate your help...

It's going to be difficult for art restoration to change your work without charging you quite a bit of $$.

Some collectors do not want prints or originals that have had extensive work done, because bleach and other things are used to alter the appearance of the work.

If cheap mats were glued to the work, the damage can be extensive to the paper that has been pressed up against the cheap mat.

The faded print was probably in direct sunlight and exposed to moisture for some time.

A museum framer can reframe the work and keep the old mat attached, although the longer the mat is attached, the more the paper underneath will deteriorate.  I have seen Arches print paper crumble to dust after being under a cheap mat for many years.

You will find Lautrec prices all over the map, they vary quite a bit.

I can help you with value etc, but it seems you want that done for free and I don't know anyone that can do that.  The fastest job I've done for a client took three hours.  

If you want to discuss this, we should talk.  Send your ph# to my private email address:

Do not post your ph# or private info on this or any other site online, you will get hounded by all kinds of telemarketers.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.