Fine Art/Raoul Dufy Watercolor

Watercolor signed Raoul Dufy
Watercolor signed Raou  
QUESTION: I have a watercolor, signed Raoul Dufy.  I cannot decide whether I need to get an offical validation/appraisal because of the cost (I really do not have the $$).  What is the chance this is an original?  Not sure if I bought it a an auction, thrift store or yard sale.  I bought it because I liked it and did not realize util later it was an original watercolor.  How would you suggest I proceed before selling?  I can send additional pictures if needed.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Sorry Treva, This is a print, and not an original print by Dufy. It has yard sale value only.

QUESTION: Thanks.  May I ask how to determine (layman easy) an original watercolor from a print?

Dear Treva, There is no "easy way" to tell you how to distinguish a watercolor from a print. For me it is a matter of 38 years of buying, selling, and comparing works of art. When you buy a watercolor for $1,800 and find out it is a print worth $50 you learn quickly.
There are two things you can do. If you are near a major art museum make an appointment with the curator of prints and drawings, to be shown the difference. Or, buy a book on how prints are made.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.