Fine Art/Servaes oil painting

QUESTION: Hi, I was wondering if you could help me determine the artist of an oil
painting i  inherited from my grandparents. there is a description of the artist
on the back that states" dutch artist, studied under masters in London,
specializing in boat and harbor scenes. Magnificent color harmony in his sky
reflection on the water and expertly executed. Exhibits in fine galleries in the
United States."  It is signed by servaes and on the back also says # 7 sunburst.  
if you can help me identify the artists first name that would be greatly

ANSWER: Hello Kimberly,  Your painting could be Belgian artist Albert Servaes (1883-1966).  Please attach an image of the front of the painting.  What size it?  Any gallery labels on the back?  Do you know where your grandparents got it from?   Cheers, Brent

servaes painting
servaes painting  
QUESTION:  Hi Brent, I have attached an image of the picture and no one seems to know
where they got the picture from but my father always remembers it being in
the house and he is 65 now. There are no other gallery labels on the back but
I did find the number  128.95 in pencil, which seems to be the price they
paid for it when they bought it.  The size of the painting is 24X36. Thank you
again for your help with this.

Hello Kimberly,  Thank you for the image and the additional information.  The painting you have is definitely not by Belgian artist Albert Servaes (1883-1966). It looks a lot like your typical furniture store art from the fifties.  I call them sofa paintings - artwork that was purchased along with the sofa from the local furniture store.  If I come across anything further I will follow up.  Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.