Fine Art/Currier and Ives print

Question
Hello Dolly... I have a Currier and Ives print titled "The Road - Winter ". I would like to know anything i can about the print . Can you help ?
Thanks
Kurt

Answer
Dear Kurt,

The Currier & Ives lithograph titled; "The Road-Winter" was drawn on stone by the artist, Otto Knirsch (act.1853-1860) and released in 1853. Most C & I prints do not state the artist and many do not have the date, so this is unusual to have both. Knirsch also did the companion piece, “The Road-Summer”.  Your print was originally released in the large folio format of prints over 14" x 20" (exclusive of margins).

According to the C&I catolog of prints by Frederic Cunningham; The Road-Winter's originally released size was 17.11 x 26.8 inches. Remember that the size of C&I prints are listed as the image area only and does not include margins.

I hope this information is helpful. If you want to learn more about the history of Currier and Ives prints, there are several good sites online if you Google.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley