Fine Art/Identify Artist

Question
Lion and Lioness
Lion and Lioness  
Hi, I was wondering if you could identify the original artist for the attached charcoal drawing which was done by my Great Grandfather, who was an artist and copied this. He died in 1917 in World War 1. I have seen the original in a magazine a few years ago but it never said the artists name. Any information would be much appreciated.

Answer
Dear Belinda,

I believe the original work of your drawing is by Herbert Dicksee, (186-1942). I did a quick search and was not able to find this exact image,but you can see his work with lions at:
http://www.mike-herwin.com/HD_BigCats.html

There you can see another of his images of a resting/sleeping lion and lioness. I hope this is helpful. Your Great Grandfather appears to be a very accomplished artist. The drawing is beautiful and you must be very proud to have it in your collection.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley