Fine Art/Identify Artist

Lion and Lioness
Lion and Lioness  
Hi, I was wondering if you could identify the original artist for the attached charcoal drawing which was done by my Great Grandfather, who was an artist and copied this. He died in 1917 in World War 1. I have seen the original in a magazine a few years ago but it never said the artists name. Any information would be much appreciated.

Dear Belinda,

I believe the original work of your drawing is by Herbert Dicksee, (186-1942). I did a quick search and was not able to find this exact image,but you can see his work with lions at:

There you can see another of his images of a resting/sleeping lion and lioness. I hope this is helpful. Your Great Grandfather appears to be a very accomplished artist. The drawing is beautiful and you must be very proud to have it in your collection.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.