Fine Art/Maurice Utrillo and Louis Jambor

Louis Jambor painting
Louis Jambor painting  
My wife and recently bought some artwork from and estate sale and an antique store. I have found a lot of info about the artists but no information for similar pieces like these.

The first is the Louis Jambor. From my research it looks like it is a painting on what I think is Masonite. It has raised ridges and textures from the paintings brush strokes. It has a definite signature at the bottom slightly faded but reads L Jambor. I did find the same painting on line It was called "the Rehersal" Its of two ladies sitting at a piano one playing turning the pages and one holding a violin. The funny thing is it does not have the same detail and background color as what Ive seen on the other paintings but it is the same scene. Do you think this could be a practice piece for the artist or maybe a fake? I have tried to call some local galleries but have not got any good info.

The Maurice Utrillo is of a street scene and have not found any similar painting on line. I would imagine it is a lithograph but I am not sure of its age or really anything about it. It does have a label on the back of the painting which reads

"Gems of Art" Maurice Utrillo (1883-     ) "The Street of Willows" (La Rue des Saules) Then it has a brief biography about him. At the bottom of the label appears to say Turner MFG Co. 24 Chicago

The Turner part is slightly pealed off the and looks like
Tu   er MTG

From my research using the keyword Chicago I think it is Turner Manufacturing Company. I have found other Turner labels on line that are bright blue. This label has no color at all. Just black ink.

The painting itself has no raised edges I do not believe it is an oil painting. It does however have long brush stroke like indentions in the board.

Can you give me any info on these paintings? How do I find out if they are authentic? The age? And Value if possible? Does the fact that their is no death date on the Utrillo label mean it was done before he passed? Thank you for any information and direction you can give me.

First I suggest looking at the work through a Jewlers Loop.

Make sure the brush strokes are not from a varnish on the surface of a print.

They sound like reproductions. If there are no edition numbers, they might be open edition decorative art.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.