Fine Art/Maxfield Parrish oringal framed lithograph, signed BUT signature is painted over :(

Question
After much research, I have what I believe to be an original lithograph by Maxfield Parrish titled Daybreak.  It's 18" x 30" in an unmatted brown, wood frame. On the back of the very old paper there are two numbers...7367 in one place and a circled 7364 in upper, left corner. This is clearly Maxfield Parrish but it is signed "M.McMillan 1926"
Under the false signature, you can see that there's another signature and you can see parts of the date, looks to me like a 22 but you can clearly see the last 2.  

I bought it in an antique store many, many years ago and was told that they weren't sure, but they believed that M.McMillan was a student of Parrish.  I'd really like to have it evaluated but I don't have a clue where to start.  Can you shed any light on that for me AND since the signature is thinly painted over, is it even worth it for me to spend any time or money checking this out?

Answer
Dear Barbara,

The numbers on the back of the framed print are most likely inventory numbers; either from a museum, gallery, or private collection. The name M. McMillan and date 1926 could refer to the collection and date acquired.

Overall, the only signature that would add value to your print would be Maxfield Parrish's and then it should be on the print itself rather than the paper backing the framed print. Personally, I don't believe spending more time or money on checking it out will add any more knowledge of importance or value to the art.

The original of these prints is becoming increasingly difficult to find in good condition. I see many where the paper has met with moisture or color distortion from old framing and/or light exposure. If yours is in good condition, you will want to be sure to maintain it properly. If you have it in the original framing materials, you can take it to an experienced and knowledgeable framer to have it framed in archival materials. If the existing vintage frame is in good condition, you may want to continue to use it. The main consideration is to remove any acid producing material that is backing the print.

You may already know; but the girl standing is Maxfield Parrish's daughter Jean, who was eleven years old at the time. The young woman reclining is Kitty Owen, William Jennings Bryan's granddaughter. She is in several of his paintings.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley