Fine Art/Miro 100 Sculptures exhibition poster (Japanese version)

QUESTION: I have a Miro's 100 Sculptures exhibition poster printed in 1978 (Matheos 107). This is the version that was printed with the stones reversed (the name MIRO is backwards) and with modifications to some of the colors for the for the Seibu Museum of Art in Tokyo. Matheos' book states that there were 2000 copies of this poster or regular paper and 75 printed "avant lettre" and signed on Arches. I have this version, but unsigned and what appears to be on poster paper. It has the printers marks ARTE - PARIS directly under the main subject of the lithograph, as opposed to the under where the place name is usually printed in the regular version. I'm assuming the book is wrong, as these things happen, but can you shed any light on this piece and perhaps an approximate value? Thanks!

ANSWER: Sounds like you have the poster that says, "Musee d art Moderne de la Ville de Paris" at the bottom?

Museum exhibit posters with no signature do not fetch high dollars.

They are fun to collect and will gain value over time. I would preserve it in a nice frame and hang on to it for a while and then have it appraised by a known apprasier. You could have that done now, but you might spend as much on the paperwork as the poster is worth.

QUESTION: Thanks for your response. Actually, the poster I have is "avant lettre", so there is no place/date/time etc printed on the poster at all. It's just the lithograph with "ARTE-PARIS" printed just under the figure. It differs from the 75 avant lettre copies printed on Arches in that it's on regular paper and there is no signature.

It was common back then to sell/give away exhibit posters to those at the exhibit. In some cases the artist was there to sign original graphics or maybe sign the posters.  Sounds like you have an un-signed exhibit poster. Still good to collect if it was at the exhibit and not an after/(poster printed later).

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.