Fine Art/Miro gallery exhibition posters sold online

QUESTION: I've seen several shops online and on eBay that sell Miro gallery exhibition posters for around $150-300. I have been looking through J. Corredor-Matheos' book "Miro's Posters" and it states that these posters had limited printings  (typically 2000-5000 for the "after letter" versions, maybe 100 or so for the "avant lettre" versions). Yet I see these posters on all the time. Are these offset lithos (i.e., not real lithos at all), or are they restrikes ? Or are they the genuine deal?

ANSWER: The problem with un-numbered posters, is that they can be reproduced with ease and look like the original printing.  I can't tell you how many times I went to buy an old collectable poster and found it to be a later (copy) printing.

QUESTION: Thanks for your answer. By "later printing (copy)", do you mean an offset printing process (easily distinguishable using a loupe), or do you mean reproduced via the lithographic process? If the latter, how would one go about determining if something is a first strike or a restrike? Thanks!

Afters can sometimes pass for the real thing if not examined properly.  Watermarks on paper change over the years and are used to identify works. You would have to examine a work that you know is an original lithograph and then examine an offset to know the difference. Re-strikes can come from the same plates as the 1st run, but the re-strike might be something done without permission or in some cases an artist will OK a plate or unsigned edition.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.