Fine Art/Muschamp print

Question
Muschamp
Muschamp  
I wonder if you could tell me anything about this print, which measures 13 by 20 inches and is in a gesso and ebonized wood glass covered frame.  On the top margin, in very small letters is written: "Printed in England.  Copyright 1910 by Louis Wolff" with a London address.  The name Sydney Muschamp is printed on the bottom, which I suppose is the original artist.  Since there is no dot pattern does it mean this is a hand colored engraving?  Any ballpark estimate of value?  Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Answer
Dear John,

The artist is Francis Sydney Muschamp and your print is an original color lithograph. I could not find a name for it, but I checked on auction prices for his lithographs and the range is $60-90. It is in a beautiful frame. This may be one of the situations where the frame currently out values the art.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Bio from Rehs Galleries, Inc.

Francis Sydney Muschamp   (British, 1851-1929)
For centuries artists have depicted mythological, classical and literary themes.  Fascinated, the artist contemplates these themes and thereafter transforms the canvas into a historical and philosophical account.

In the nineteenth century, the Neo-Classical movement bloomed, bringing forth a new style and interpretation of the past.  F. Sydney Muschamp was greatly influenced by this movement, and painted with the same vision as its leaders Lord Leighton and Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema.

Muschamp’s brush was motivated by his love of the past and he concentrated on portraying Shakespearean, Classical and Baroque lifestyles.  This becomes quite evident, when reviewing titles of paintings he exhibited during his lifetime – these include: The Merchant of Venice, The Sonnet, Much Ado about Nothing, Juliet and her Nurse, The Fool and Maria: A Scene for ‘Twelfth Night’, The Winning of the Golden Fleece and Ivanhoe.

Born in Hull, the artist lived in London and exhibited his works between 1870 – 1903 at many of the major halls, including: the Royal Academy; Suffolk Street; Royal Society of Artists, Birmingham; Dudley Gallery & New Dudley Gallery; Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool; Manchester City Gallery; Royal Society of British Artists; Royal Hibernian Academy; and the Royal Institute of Oil Painters.  He died in 1929.  

Dolly D Headley