Fine Art/Need Help Identifying the Artist and Value

Oil/ Board
Oil/ Board  
Hi Daniel- Thank you for taking my question. I purchased this painting a couple of years ago from an antique store in upstate New York. I paid $50. It measures approx. 17"x 14" and is an oil painted on board. There is some significant paint loss which obscures the signature. The subject matter is cattle at a stream although it is not titled. On the reverse there is an old label attached to the board that reads "Artists' Tube Colors,Canvas, Oil Sketching Paper, Millboards,Fine Bristle and Sable Brushes,Paints, Varnishes, &c., Cor. Fulton and Williams Sts., New York". At the top of the label mostly cut off i believe reads "Mancini" which could be the name of the supply store. Is it worth restoring? and who could the artist possibly be? I will attach image. More are avaiable upon request. Thanks in advance.

Dear Scott, Your image is very dark, I need more images. Take them outdoors in bright indirect light.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed). If you have found my instructions somewhere on the internet, do not email me unless you go through

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.