Fine Art/Oil Painting & Painter identification

Seascape. Signature inset.
Seascape. Signature in  
My enqury is about the origin of a painting that has been in our family for sometime. It appears to be oil on canvas and there appear to be no further marks on the rear.

Searches on the web do not identify the painter, never mind the picture. I would be interested to know more about it and the painter.
A few photos are attached.  the painting is sized approx 50"x30" framed.

The name (bottom left) appears to be BROUMY or BROUNLY. It looks like 87 after the name - presumably 1887.

I hope you don't mind taking a few minutes to make comment.

Dear Ian, It looks quite nice. I would like to see more images.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed). If you have found my instructions somewhere on the internet, do not email me unless you go through

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.