Fine Art/Picasso Lithograph

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Twyman,
My wife purchased for me a lithograph of Picasso's Jeu de la cape from a Windsor Fine Art in New Orleans (seemed very high-end and "authentic"). Below is the exact quote of the info they provided via email (there were no documents accompanying the shipped package):
ARTIST----PABLO PICASSO
TITLE----PASS WITH CAPE (JEW DE LA CAPE)
DATE----MARCH 6, 1961
FROM THE EDITION PUBLISHED IN THE BOOK "A LOS TOROS AVEC PICASSO, text by Jaime Sabartes.  Published by Andre Sauret, Monte-Carlo; printed by Atelier Mourlot, Paris.
REFERENCE #--------BLOCH 1015; MOURLOT 348; CRAMER 113 II
IMAGE SIZE----9 X 12 INCHES
DATED IN THE STONE 6.3.61 III
FROM THE BOOK EDITION ONE OF FOUR LITHOGRAPHS PUBLISHED IN THE SLBUM "A LOS TOROS WITH PICASSO", BY ANDRE SAURET, MONTE-CARLO; PRINTED BY ATELIER MOURLOT, PARIS.  THIS ALBUM CONTAINS 103 REPRODUCTIONS OF PICASSO'S DRAWING
EXHIBITED AT LOUISE LEIRIS GALLERY, DECEMBER 1960.  TEXT BY JAIME SABARTES

The item was purchased for about $2,000.  Please give me your opinion, based on their description and what they represent they sold us, on exactly what it is we purchased.  As is probably obvious, I am not an art collector, but loved this piece the moment we saw it and would like to know a little more about it. As a novice, do I need to be fearful of its authenticity?  Did we pay fair market value?

Please note I kept this question private so that I do not publicly (and unintentionally?) soil the reputation of the gallery by simply asking the question.

Thanks very much...  

ANSWER: What your asking for is an art appraisal. I am not able to do that for free as it takes a minimum of 4 or 5 hours to complete.

If anyone blurts out a value off the top of their head, they are doing you a dis-service.

Dan

QUESTION: Mr. Twyman,

I understand your hesitancy to "quote a price".  I'm actually looking for more information on my piece.

Just this afternoon (after I sent the question), I received all of the paperwork from the gallery.  It states the item is as listed in the previous question (in caps).  Is there any measure I can take to ensure that it is an authentic "original" lithograph?  How many of these were produced?  Was production even limited?  I googled it and found many on-line for sale, for various prices.

As I mentioned before, I am not a collector so I don't know how to "vet" my piece.  Does looking at it through a loop for dot matrix prove anything (I read this somewhere, but it referred to the color litho in the series).  I simply don't know where to begin, other than just staring at it in awe (but that hasn't gotten me too far!).

Any insight will be very appreciated.

Thanks again,

RD

ANSWER: There are only a few people that are qualified to authenticate a Picasso. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Most gallery owners do not have the certification or background to provide proper paperwork.

The question is, would a major auction house accept or reject the work for a Picasso auction?

Another question, would the Picasso estate say it's real?

There's no quick answer for this.

I have a friend in the industry that was nice enough to examine some Picasso drawings for me as a favor. That saved me about $1,000.00

I doubt he will do it again.

Dan

QUESTION: Dan,
Thanks for your continued patience with me.  Last question, I promise.  Assuming it's real, is it (literally)a page from one the albums printed? Or was it printed using the same stone that printed the book's pages?
Do you know how many of this same litho were created?  For example, I own a Guy Harvey giclee that is numbered/signed.  Therefore, I know that my Harvey piece is 1 of 500.
I just have no idea about it and am very curious. I don't even (obviously) understand the premise behind a litho that is somehow related to a book.
Thanks again for your enduring patience--you must have kids (or at least sisters).

RD

Answer
Book suites were common back in the 60's and 70's.  Dali did quite a few, Chagall also, I have not seen them from Picasso?  If you have a print from a book suite with no hand signature, it is not a high end work. You mentioned numbered in the stone, I was looking for info about the signature, maybe I missed that? If it has a pencil signature, I'd say it's worth the research. If it's an old book suite done with Picasso's permission, It can have some value, not high end and it seems it would have been best to keep the book together as a set?

Dan

Dan Twyman