Fine Art/Portrait Sketch

Question
Portrait Sketch
Portrait Sketch  
Hello Dan, I have attached pictures of a portrait sketch. I purchased it at a yard sale for $1 last year. I can't quite make out the signature...A Avarria?? What I can tell is that it was done at the Sheperds Hotel in Cairo Egypt. My research tells me that the Sheperds Hotel was the predominant hotel in Cairo during British Colonial rule. I also know that the subject is a Ethel Donaghue. A very wealthy socialite in Connecticut. She was the first female States attorney. She also bequeathed millions to Yale University.

It looks like I can upload only 1 picture. I have 2 others. Please let me know where I can send these. Any information you can provide on the artist is appreciated.
Thank you.

Answer
Not sure I can help with this as it is outside my area.

Your on the right track. It's all about research.

I looked at the signature and cannot make out the letters. Why artists do not leave more clues for future generations is a mystery.

You might search for books about Donaghue and see if the artwork was used in a publication.

Dan

Dan Twyman