Fine Art/Salvador Dali's

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Twyman,

I was just curious if any researchers have noticed the startling similarity between the subject of Dali's "The Average Bureaucrat" and the figure of St. Jerome in Caravaggio's "St. Jerome Writing."  I just noticed this after purchasing a book on seemed very odd.  Is this just a coincidence, or are the paintings somehow connected?  I thought your expertise on Dali may be of help here.  Thanks!

- Eric

ANSWER: It was very common for Dali to reference historical figures and events in his work. I'd have to do more research for the specific tie in.

QUESTION: Thanks for the response...I just found the similarity interesting, especially seeing as no online articles on Dali's painting seemed to mention it.  Has Dali referenced Caravaggio in any other works that you know of?  And, in your professional opinion, does St. Jerome relate at all to the theme of "The Average Bureaucrat?"  Thanks for you time.

You might want to study the various works with similar images but different titles. Look at "The Banker" and others as an example and see if you feel there is a tie in that way.

I am a full time art consultant and cannot study this at this time, maybe when I'm less busy I can take a look at it.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.