Fine Art/Unknown Oil Painting

Old Unknown Painting
Old Unknown Painting  
I recently purchased an Oil Painting on canvas from a nearby thrift store. The Canvas is 20 1/4" by 24 1/2". The Paintings frame and canvas show great signs of Age. The painting is unsigned but I did notice what appears to me to be a name engraved upside down on the bottom backside of the wooden frame. The painting is a portrait of a woman seated on a chair and in the distance unnoticeably is a clown juggling. The back of the frame also has the letter R or P is written in white chalk on the Frame and canvas. The canvas does not have any staples but instead only rusty nails and has small pieces of wood in all four corners holding the frame together. Any knowledge you might have of the date, artist, or meaning of this paining would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You for your time

Dear Guilherme, Interesting painting, I would like to see more images. I suggest you take the painting out of the frame, it may be signed and covered by the frame.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed). If you have found my instructions somewhere on the internet, do not email me unless you go through

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.