Fine Art/Zatzka

My grandmother has an oil painting and I am trying to do some research on it for her.  The name it has in the lower left hand corner looks like JC Zatzka and then it has a name on the end that looks like Fecil.  I am not sure.  Anyways, it is an oil painting like I said, of flowers and it is very dark colors.  I was just wondering if you have ever heard of that painter before or if it could be a Hanz Zatzka painting?

Hello Amber,  It sounds like it may be by Hans Zatzka, a very well known Austrian 19/20th Century artist.  A biography is available at .  Many reproductions of his work have been made so be sure your grandmother's is an a original and not just some type of copy.  What size is the the work?  What is its provenance?  Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.