Fine Art/picasso

I have a painting apears to be indian ink on linocut paper that is almost identical to the generally excepted Don Quixote work.  Is it impossible that he rendered more than one version. The one I own is different. Where is the original and can it be viewed? I would like to see the differences.

Dear Keith,

I checked auction listings and found two other versions of original Don Quixote drawings; one before the 1955 drawing and the other a color pastel done in 1968. However, I did not find another with the 1955 date. There are many reproductions, but yours is certainly an interesting medium for a reproduction.

The original drawing is in le Musée d'art et d'histoire in Saint-Denis, France. I found information elsewhere that it has been kept in a basement vault since it was drawn in 1955.  I have not verified this last bit of information. Therefore, you might try getting more information from the museum. Their website is:

You can read the history of the drawing at the Picasso Online Project. It is a research project started by Professor Enrique Mallen, formerly at Texas A&M University and now at Sam Huston. It is brilliantly invaluable for researching images and information on Picasso. I have listed a link below to his information on Don Quixote. I had not read this before and it is very interesting.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck to you in your research. It sounds very interesting.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.