Fine Art/What type of painting is this?

Question
Picture of painting
Picture of painting  
QUESTION: Hi- I recently purchased this painting from a garage sale. It is signed, but i cannot make out the artist. If you could tell me what art movement this is from(Color field, Expressionism, etc...) I could maybe track down the artist myself. It was purchased in upstate NY and it does have a sticker or label on back that reads "Mayfair Gallery and Art Center, 247 Saratoga Rd., Scotia, NY, Sch'ty Phone Ex. 9-3306". Of course the gallery is no longer there, but I think the painting is from the 50's or 60's. I don't know, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scott

ANSWER: Impressionism. Almost has the feel of Pastels. Your job will be much easier if you can determine what the signature says. Use a jewlers loop to get a close up look at the signature and try to recreate it on a piece of paper.

Dan

QUESTION: In your opinion does it look professional or worth pursuing?

Answer
While the work is simple and the frame implies it was not treated as high end art, one can never tell. I have seen things happen in the art world that were a surprise to everyone. You can always take it to an appraiser.  You might have to spend some money, but at least you will know what you have.

Dan

Dan Twyman