Fine Art/Currier & Ives print

Question
QUESTION: I have a trade card print measuring 4 3/4" X 3 3/4" (printed picture only).  The title is Colonial Winter Scene and the numbers 15-53 are in the lower left corner.  What can you tell me about this print?  Thanks so much.

ANSWER: From 1834 to 1907 the firm of Currier & Ives provided for the American people a pictorial history of their country's growth from an agricultural society to an industrialized one. For nearly three quarters of a century the firm provided "Colored Engravings for the People" and in the process became the visual raconteurs of nineteenth-century America. Some of the finest artists of the day were engaged by the firm to produce a variety of prints, including images of newsworthy events and prints depicting every subject relating to American life: sports, games, home life, religion, entertainment, views of cities, and so forth. Charming and colorful, these are wonderful examples of the work of "America's printmakers."

If you have an original graphic from the original run produced by Currier & Ives, it is a desirable collectable. Currier & Ives Americana works do have a following, although it is a small niche in the art world. Many of the prints have not hit the high Dollar amounts yet, I suspect they will as time goes by.

You need to study the print and verify that the small printed text and copywrite info is indeed from Currier & Ives. There are SO MANY copies of Currier & Ives works, it can be misleading. You might discover you have a reproduction of an old Currier & Ives graphic.

Dan

QUESTION: How do I verify that the print is indeed from Currier & Ives?    The words Currier & Ives are written in cursive in the lower right hand corner.  Thanks so much.

Answer
I have seen cheap reproductions with the words Currier & Ives written on them because they are photo-reproductions of the original graphic. Now you see why art authenticators are needed. There is no way around it.  Your works have to be examined or you will help an expert by sending detailed photos of all areas of the prints, along with all history about the works etc. That service is not free. If you want to persue it, send a request to: collectdali@aol.com

Dan

Dan Twyman