Fine Art/Monet copy or print

Hello Dolly!(no pun intended)We have a copy of "The Bridge at Argentuil" that is about 9"h x12"w and beautifully framed. It looks like "painted"(has texture)paper on canvas with Claude Monet in the lower right(looks like left-handed signature). We acquired the item in the early 70's at a customs auction. It belonged to a former wife of James Michener and was brought back from Europe. I know the original of this is in the Louvre & is a much larger painting. What is the best way to get a valuation on this item? Would it be a "print" or a "litho"?

Dear Allen,

Monet did not do very many landscape lithographs and I cannot find an example of an original lithographic release of The Bridge at Argenteuil. Generally, any print that is after a known painting is probably a reproduction. Considering the estate, your print may be a quality reproduction. The best thing to do is to start by getting an opinion on the medium. This is something that cannot be done without close inspection. Museums will generally help out with this, as long as they do not have to give a value. There may also be a knowledgeable dealer (art/antique) in your area that would take a look at it for you. .

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.