Fine Art/Painting Value

Question
We have 2 large oil paintings by Charles Edward Proctor.  He is a grandson of Isaac M Singer, of Singer Sewing fame.  My husband is a Great great great grandson of Isaac.
The paintings are of Charles parents, William Fash Proctor & Voulettti Theresa Singer Proctor.  Charles painted them from photographs.  Does the provenance increase the value of these paintings?  I have seen paintings of his selling for less than $1000.00.  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Finally, the correct type of question for this free service.

:)

Yes, the more details you have as to the history of the works, the more value they have with collectors.

I suggest you use your computer to create a document that gives a detailed history of the work, and then find a way to attach that to the back of the piece, as long as it does not harm the art.

I have framed art at home with envelopes on the back. The envelopes contain detailed descriptions of where the art came from and who created it etc. I tape it to the back where the brown paper is, that was used to seal up the art in the frame.  No harm to the art, and if anyone in the future wants info, it's all there.

Dan

Dan Twyman