Fine Art/Paul Ashbrook

I have a painting of a Mexican Hacienda. The windows are "etched". They light up when the painting is plugged into the electrical outlet. There is a fountain in the middle of the courtyard. The colors are red, orange, yellow, etc. It is signed Ashbrook in the lower right corner. Can you tell me if this is an original Paul Ashbrook?

Hello Teresa,  Paul (Eschenbach) Ashbrook (1867-1949) was an American artist known for his impressionistic style paintings and according to his biography on Cincinnati Art Galleries' website,, he did make regular painting and etching trips to many places including Mexico. I suggest the work you are inquiring about is some type of 'reproduction' for an artist active in the early part of the last century would not add electrical gimmicks to a work of art.  Unless the provenance for the work details that it was purchased at a gallery known to sell original works by the artist I suggest what you have is little more than some type of reproduction that has no fine art value and minimal decorative art value.  Good luck, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.