Fine Art/Picasso

Picasso 90 ANS
Picasso 90 ANS  
QUESTION: Hi Dan, I bought a work by Picasso at a thrift store. 23 3/4in H x19 1/2in W. I looked at it with a portable uniform dots. At the top of the picture is "Picasso 90 ANS". Underneath that is what appears to be two ballerinas. Lower right is Picasso's signature. At the bottom is printed "For the benefit of the Milwaukee Ballet Company November 1971". Underneath that is Irving Gallery, Milwaukee, Wisconsin". You can see the full image, and there are no edition numbers or anything like that. Based on what I've been able to find out, there was a benefit held at Irving Gallery in 1971 and etchings by Picasso were sold and part of the proceeds given to the Mil. Ballet Comp.. Nowhere on this work is that information shown, nor the dates of the sale...Nov.7-Nov.28. There are some very small smudges on the paper from the colors. I was told by a supposed expert that it was probably a lithograph, but I can find nothing on it that earmarks it as such. Can you help me identify what I have. I'm including one photo but it's not the best. It's hard to photograph it because of the glass.

ANSWER: It is very common for known artists to create posters and prints for exhibits, benifits etc. If what you have is not numbered, but Picasso signed it as a favor or agreed to sign a limited run, then it has value. The value will be lower than a limited edition etching, engraving etc. It is probably a photo lithograph, might be an original lithograph but I kind of doubt it.  Judging from the low end frame, the condition of the print might also be a factor.

The most important issue here is, Did Picasso sign it?

I'd have to see it in person to examine it and show it to other experts I work with.

QUESTION: Dan, Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm new at this, and trying to learn. You mentioned "low end frame". I didn't realize this. I thought the metal frame was a greater protector. Also, wouldn't a photo lithograph have the uniform dots? Thanks for your patience, Bob

ANSWER: Yes photo lithographs or low end lithogrpahs show printing details.

The correct frame for fine art is an archival acid free mat material and a museum style frame.

QUESTION: Dan, I've searched the Internet relentlessly, and have not been able to find anything even similar to this work. I've looked at Picasso's on-line raisonne for printed works for the year 1971, and even when I type in the heading on the work, nothing comes up even remotely similar. It's as though this work doesn't exist. Any suggestions?

It really boils down to what you want to do with the art. If you are keeping the art, you will pay fees to have paperwork done, but it is difficult as there are only a few qualified to do the work.
If you are selling, I can get the process going to see if there is interest in the works.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.