Fine Art/Robert Wood

I've recently helped someone move and have discovered a painting. Oil on canvas, about 2 feet by 3.5 to 4 feet. It's in the original wood frame. There's a small brass-looking plate attached at the bottom of the frame ... "In The Tetons" ... it looks to be signed by ..."R. Wood" ... could this be a Robert Wood?

Dear Tennessee,

I hope you are doing well. Robert Wood painted a large series of paintings in the Grand Tetons. One of his most popular reproductions from this series is “In the Tetons”. The reproductions may be textured on paper board or on canvas. The canvas reproductions look very real so many people mistake them for original oils. Generally if you see a brass name plate on a painting you can suspect it is a reproduction. There may be exceptions as Wood was known to use the same title more than once, but since it is known that “In the Tetons” was released as a popular reproduction, in all likelihood that is what you have. If you feel it may be real you can take it to a local antiques/art dealer and have them take a look at it for you. Try doing a search with key words: In the Tetons, Robert Wood, and you will find more information and photos of this and other of his Grand Teton paintings.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.