Fine Art/david hicks oil painting

Question
hicks painting
hicks painting  
I have a beautiful antique oil painting by the artist David Hicks, it was purchased back in the 50's in England.I know he also did many paintings of landscape in Scotland and would like some information about him. Also would love an idea of what this painting is worth or possibly its title?

Answer
Hello Susan,

I have researched this artist in the past for another collector and have yet to find where someone has written his biography. His birthdate is listed as century(XIX-XX) rather than years which usually tells me that no one has yet to write his biography. The titles of his paintings are given descriptive titles by the auction houses and therefore yours may be similar to several I found listed from previous auctions. You can pretty much name it yourself. Titles listed at auctions include Mountainous Lakeland Landscape; Mountain Scene with Lake; Highland Scene with River; Scottish River and Mountain; and A Highland Loch Landscape.

His most recent painting auctions are Highland Landscape in 2006 with pre-auction estimate of approximately $1000 (did not sell) and Mountainous Lakeland Landscape in 2002 which sold for $315.

Often I can find a reference of an artist's museum placing and then search the museum's website to research the artist, but there are no indications of museums with David Hicks work. You may occasionally try Googling his name using keywords: British artist David Hicks bio, or something similar to see if someone eventually posts information on him.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley