Fine Art/lithographs

Question
I have inherited two Currier & Ives lithos I am told to be authenic.  Winter Morning, entered...1863, on the right "printed by c.h. durrie"
The other, American Farm Scenes, FF Palmer, Del.  Lith & pub by N Currier, 125 Nassau st, New York.
If they were true lithos, what could I expect the value to be?

Answer
Dear Wilson,

Size is everything when determining originality of a C & I print. It can be the same size as the original release and still be a copy; but it can never be original if not the same size. Therefore you can do a quick check on yours to see if it meets the size requirements. Measure the image area only; excluding the title area. The original lithograph for Winter Morning should be very close to 14.14 x 20.10 inches. American Farm Scenes should be close to 16.15 x 24.1 inches.

The most recent auction prices for the original release lithographs are below. Since I do not know which American Farm Scenes you have, (there are four representing the seasons), I used the latest pricing of any of the four that I could find. American Farm Scenes No. 4, winter, is by far the most desirable of the four and extremely scarce. I was not able to locate one in the online retail environment.

Winter Morning: $1300 at February 2008 auction; $2700 at April 2001 auction; $2000 at February 2000 auction. I also found a current example in very good condition at retail for $9500.

American Farm Scene: $7100 for a No. 4 (winter) at a February 2008 auction and $900 for a No. 1 (spring) at a June 2006 auction. I was able to find a few 1, 2, and 3ís (spring, summer, and fall) in fair to good condition between $2500 and $4500.

Differences in price realized at an auction can be due to poor attendance, no buyers wanting C & I prints and/or availability of that particular print on the market at that time. Condition of the print is the most important factor. A print that still has good color with minimal fading or yellowing and no tears or water damage is going to fetch a substantially higher price than one in poor condition.

I hope this information is helpful. You can email me directly at dheadley@fineartgalleria.com if you need help identifying your American Farm Scenes litho.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley