Fine Art/Art

Question
My wife and I are visiting Italy for a few days in November for our wedding anniversary. I would like to see some of Giotto's frescoes but also stay in a picturesque place. Can you advise me? Is Padua a good place or Assisi? I think Florence is too big for us. The more information you can give us the better.

Answer
Dear Laurence

Italian geography is not really my area of expertise but after reading Vasari you get a feeling about which places are beautiful and which are not. I would say that if you are interested in the frescoes you have to go to Padua - it is indeed a nice city in the classic italian style with the small streets that are turning into the large "communal piazze". There are also several small bridges that crosses the river "Bacchiglione" of course it is not like in Venice but it is making the place extra cosy as for what I have heard and read about the place.

You have to experience the magnificent frescoes in the Scrovegni chapel. They have recently been restored and should be in excellent condition. Giotto painted the frescos of the Scrovegni chapel in just 2 years (1303-1305) and there are more than 900 square meters of wonderful art. That is productivity!

Enjoy your travel and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best Regards, Soren

Søren Holmstrup