Fine Art/HAND TINTING

Question
I HAVE A PRINT BY G.H.DURRIE, "HOME TO THANKSGIVING" YOU PREVIOUSLY ANSWERED A QUESTION FOR SOMEONE. YOU MENTIONED SIZE (14.12 X 25... AND SAID IT SHOULD BE HAND TINTED,   ? WHAT DOES HAND TINTED MEAN, AND HOW DO I TELL IF THE PRINT IS HAND TINTED ?  THE PICTURE IS STILL IN FRAME AND THE SIZE MAY BE CORRECT, THOUGH I HAVE NOT TAKEN IT OUT OF THE FRAME YET...  WOULD APPRECIATE SOME INFO... THANKS

Answer
Dear Evelyn,

It may be difficult for a novice to determine if something is hand tinted (painted). The tinting was done with watercolors and you should be able to see areas where the watercolor has "pooled" slightly. If you are not sure, you can take it to a local antique dealer and they should be able to help you.

You may not need to unframe to determine the size as C & I print measurements are of the image area only and do not include the margins. You can probably measure the area through the glass. The sizes are approximate, but should not vary by much. I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley