Fine Art/Victory by Danchin

Question
I inherited this interesting lit numbered 373-500, Signed and copyright, stamped 1932 (upper left hand corner)titled: Victory. Was it unusual for this artist to have the subject of cock-chicken fighters?  My Dad loved this sport before it was outlawed and he also loved the "country" life.  Just wondering ...Thank You, Nancy

Answer
Leon Danchin
Leon Danchin  
Dear Nancy,

I found one Leon Danchin color etching that has a cock fight related theme. It has a large rooster crowing over the dead body of another rooster; apparently the victor. In auction listings it is named “gamecock”. The size is 24 x 18 inches and it was released in a limited number of 500. I will try to attach a photo of it for you to compare to yours. You mention yours is a lithograph. Are you sure it is not an engraving? Check for plate marks. Otherwise it may be an offset lithograph that was created after the original etching. The etching sale prices listed from auction results are between $500-600.

Overall, I would say it is a rare subject for Danchin and the print I have discussed appears to be a highly sought image of the artists.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley