Fine Art/allexperts

I have a small watercolor approx. 8.5 x 9.5" that appears to be an original. The only marking on it is in the lower left corner and looks like 'dLJEnt'. There is nothing on the back. The scene is all done in shades of brown and portrays a single oriental fisherman walking up the beach from right to left past a boat out of water and toward two small huts. Is there any way to determine the Artist and date of a work like this?

Dear Ruth,

I'm afraid there are more paintings that are never identified than ones where a person can find information on the artist. I cannot tell by your question, but is the marking you mention in handwriting or printed? It looks like a marking for a print. Without an artist's name; identification is not possible. One can put it in a style of another artist, but that would only be a personal opinion. The Asian scene further complicates the identification as many Asian artists are yet to be documented for western research.

I wish I could be of more help, but there is nothing in the information that can give clues to the artist or date of the painting. The scene on the beach, as you describe, could be from three different centuries. It is a very common image for Asian paintings.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.