Fine Art/Alex De Andreis

Amber wrote at 2010-11-12 17:06:14
I have that same picture I think with the same frame, it just says cavalier on a sticker on the back of mine. I am actually looking for more history about it as well. Looking at it since I was born I have grown to want to know what it is. From the look of things I can't put any contact info up here but if you find out anything about it let me know.

Do the eyes seem to follow you too?

Bob Fatica wrote at 2010-11-26 01:09:24
I have the same print it hung in my grand parents house for as long as I can remember.Tried for years to find info on it could never read artists name.The only thing i could make out was c.a. crane co and 1922.Thanks for all the info it may be worthless but it is hanging in my livingroom staring at me every place I go.

gary wrote at 2010-12-18 16:11:04
I also have the same print -the sticker on the back had hand written info as follows:

the sticker itself had printing that said Regal Art Co.- Chicago

I would be curious of it's value ?

print dimensions: 24"W x 30" high ( does not include frame )

Linda Howe wrote at 2011-04-24 18:13:41
I also have this cavalier with same info - it belonged to a friend who is now deceased.  Is there any value to these prints?

Bob V wrote at 2011-04-25 04:33:11
I think my Mom has the original oil of this painting - it is covered by decades of damage caused by smoking but it looks exactly the same and it is an oil painting, not a copy.  Her aunt got it from the Cleveland Museum and there is a card on the back labeled "Andreis, Cavalier with a Red Coat, Crane Collection, Cleveland".  

My mom vividly remembers playing hide and seek with it when she was a small child in the early 1930's in Hopkinsville, KY and she inherited it from her aunt in 1977.  We are in the process of having my Mom's estate sale within the next couple of months and I have just started researching this painting.  Thank you very much - it is a pleasure to see without the decades of soot.

Bob V.

Dyana Anderly wrote at 2011-04-28 03:12:08
I own the original of the painting of the Cavalier, so your sister's is not an original.  As you indicated, it is signed in the lower right-hand corner with the year 1922.  

Stace wrote at 2011-07-31 00:32:02
I have the same picture which i purchased from a goodwill store. Since it obviously is not the original does it have any value at all?

rose wrote at 2013-01-01 21:26:05
I just found this picture at an antique store and its eyes followed me in the room so i bought it what is ti worth I was told no more then 200.00  

David wrote at 2013-05-05 21:37:07
I also have this, with the same Chicago framing company info. Paid $20 for it in Buffalo NY. Figured the frame was worth more than that.

JPK wrote at 2013-05-13 01:01:20
This is quite a coincidence. I believe my mother owns the original. I was looking at it the other day and it definitely looks like an original oil painting.

Themis Parnasia wrote at 2014-06-14 19:43:21
I too have this and it appears to be a painting not a print but can't be sure?  The frame is a bit different but it's signed and 1922.  Would like to know the value.  It came in my family with two female paintings similarly in look.  And yes, when I was a child it always seemed like they were looking at me but now they feel like family.  Nonetheless they sit in a shed and I'd like to sell them.  I have photos of all three.

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.