Fine Art/print after Frans Hals w/ birds in boarder

I have an etching of a woman's portrait in the style of Frans Hals.  I've learned that the impressionist artists often copied masters as part of their learning / training.  On the boarder of the print are penciled birds, a couple of them.  Do you know if anyone would use this as their signature? Thanks

ANSWER: Sounds like a remarque. A seperate printed accent to the artists work.

If it is in pencil, it is the artists way of adding something to the work that is by his own hand.

Yes, it is in pencil.  Do you know any particular artist, perhaps an impressionist, that would add a bird drawn in pencil to the boarder of the etching?  Would you like a picture of the piece that I am asking about?

ANSWER: Nothing comes to mind. Over the years I have seen a number of artists do something similar. If you have an un-signed work, it might be production art. Original etchings and engraving will have a signature or some printed information that tells you what you have.

Look for a blind stamp or watermarks in the paper.

I have BFA in art and studied printing.  It's an original.  I distinctly remember reading that one particular artist did sign his etchings w/ bird pencil drawings.  I've been trying to figure out which artist now for years!  Is there a way to search for this?  Thanks, Nadine

If you have studied the arts and the art indsutry, you might know about the volumes of books that we use to obtain info. Some of these books are $2500.00 ea or more. I see nothing listed that mentions an artist that uses drawings of birds as a signature. Almost seems that a Signature expert or handwriting expert might remember what you are referring to? I'll think more about this.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.