Fine Art/Bernard Buffet clown painting

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I am going to an auction tomorrow that has a Bernard Buffet painting.  It appears to be original.  When I got home I did some research and it seems others also thing they have original clown paintings by him.
My question
What may this be worth?
Is there any way by me inspecting it to see if it authentic.
Thanks for your time!

ANSWER: If an auction house presents the work as an original and then you have it authenticated and it is not correct, you will have to try and get your money back. It is important to know who authenticated it and does that person work for the auction house. You need an outside experts opinion. You have to find someone that is familiar with the artists works and they have to examine it in person.
Make sure the seller is established and you can go back to them if there is a problem later. Get a written guarantee.

Dan

QUESTION: Thanks for your answer I will rate you good.
One more question.  Is there anyplace (website) out there that lists where original paintings are located (which museums, etc.)
Thanks again!

Answer
It would be nice if there were such a directory. There are niche type directories and sites like the Smithsonian website.
In the art industry we use expensive books that have detailed info.
I suspect hard cover books about the artist, will reveal locations of his originals.

Dan

Dan Twyman