Fine Art/DALI etching

Question
Hi Dolly

i am looking at purchasing a hand coloured etching by Salvador Dali.

the name of the piece is 'transparent horseman'

i am having a bit of trouble locating a picture on the internet to compare with the picture i have of the piece.

have you heard of it and do you have a picture?

also is the asking price of $2,800 reasonable?

your help would be much appreciated

Answer
Transparent Horseman
Transparent Horseman  
Hello Dean,

I found a colored etching of the print at a 2007 Australian auction. I have attached the image from their catalog. Here is the link as well: http://www.leski.com.au/catalogues/a311/TPAI.php

According to Field in the Official Catalog of the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali; Transparent Horseman (aka Chevauchee and Horseback Rider) is an "after" of a 1938 drawing. It was published after Dali stopped signing prints. There is a section at the back of the catalog that has forgeries and unfortunately, this image is in that section with the above information. According to the catalog, any signature on these prints must be forgeries.

People buying any Dali print that Field's has labeled as a forgery or suspect of forgery should be cautioned.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley