Fine Art/DALI etching

Hi Dolly

i am looking at purchasing a hand coloured etching by Salvador Dali.

the name of the piece is 'transparent horseman'

i am having a bit of trouble locating a picture on the internet to compare with the picture i have of the piece.

have you heard of it and do you have a picture?

also is the asking price of $2,800 reasonable?

your help would be much appreciated

Transparent Horseman
Transparent Horseman  
Hello Dean,

I found a colored etching of the print at a 2007 Australian auction. I have attached the image from their catalog. Here is the link as well:

According to Field in the Official Catalog of the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali; Transparent Horseman (aka Chevauchee and Horseback Rider) is an "after" of a 1938 drawing. It was published after Dali stopped signing prints. There is a section at the back of the catalog that has forgeries and unfortunately, this image is in that section with the above information. According to the catalog, any signature on these prints must be forgeries.

People buying any Dali print that Field's has labeled as a forgery or suspect of forgery should be cautioned.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.