Fine Art/E May Wentworth Painting

I have an older painting (subject--bunch of carnations on aqua teal background setting) and I am trying to identify who the artist is and estimate on age of painting.  Signature on lower left could be E May Wentworth or Ellen Wentworth.  There are signs of age to the painting with hairline cracks but nothing significant. I bought this painting at auction in Pleasant Valley, NY. Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

Dear Angela,

I found a 19th century artist by the name of Ellen Wentworth in the auction listings. There is only one item, a drawing, but if you send me your email address I will forward the information and photo of the artwork. It states the drawing as In Memory of Robert Wentworth and circa 1825. You can compare the style in the photograph to the painting you have and see if they look as if they were done by the same artist. You can email me at

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.