Fine Art/El Cid by Salvadore Dali

I have an original etching from his Spanish Immortals. It has a certification of authenticity that reads : "Societe de Verification de la Gravure Internationale of New York and Paris  certifies and warrants that this is an original etching by Salvadore Dali". It then has a sel beneath this; beneath the seal the address is:
The Collector/s Guilt LTD.,185 Madison Avenue, New York, N.Y.  10016.  I bought this from a reputable gallery in Tacoma, Wa. in 1986 for $750. Is this likely to be authentic?

Dear Mary,

The Five Spanish Immortals , (Don Quixote, El Cid, El Greco and Velasquez), were original etchings published in 1965 by Jean Schneider. There was a total edition of 180 on two different papers and inks; 125 on Rives in sepia ink and 125 on Japon in black ink. The remainder of the edition was numbered with Roman Numerals and 25 on Japon paper marketed by the publisher. Each print was hand signed by Dali in pencil within the page margin in the lower right.

The original limited edition of 125 on Rives in sepia ink was marketed by The Collectorís Guild; a New York company. The Collectorís Guild published another edition of the Immortals in 1968 in an unlimited and unsigned edition. To distinguish between the two volumes, Dali scratched his name within the image on each of the five plates.

If your print is hand signed in pencil and numbered /125 you have an original release. If your print has Daliís name within the image, then your print comes from the unlimited or restrike edition.

It is unknown how many copies were printed in the unlimited edition, but it is estimated to be many thousands. There is obviously a substantial difference in value between the originals and the restrikes.

If your print is from the unlimited release and has a signature other than the one in the plate, it is a forgery.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.