I bought a painting from an 80yr or older lady this painting is called (STILL LIFE WITH GRAPES) signed by GEORGES COULON the painting is 2.5ft x 4ft long but i can't seem to find out any info on his paintings or where to look to see if i have something valuable just info on who he was. Is there any info you could give me or where i might can find this painting. Thank you.

Dear Robert,

Georges Coulon (1914-1990), was French and is known primarily for his still life paintings. He was also a sculptor and both mediums have shown up at auctions in the U.S. and Europe. He attended L'Ecole des Arts Appliques in Paris and was taught by the master sculptors Wlerick and Malfray. He was strongly influenced by Spanish, Flemish, and French still life paintings and was known to apply glaze to increase the intensity of color in his paintings.

His work has been estimated between $500-1200 at auction, but much of his work goes unsold; not meeting the reserve. There may be a stronger market for his work in the future.

I hope this information is helpful. By the way for future reference; if the name of George has an s, (such as Georges Braque and Georges Redon); you can be fairly certain the artist is from a French speaking country.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.