Fine Art/George P. James, mezzotint

Question
photo of mezzotint
photo of mezzotint  
I just acquired a "Princess Mary" mezzotint by George James. I gather he was not one of the major artists in this field so I'm having trouble dating the piece or estimating a value. It is framed (original glass) and in beautiful condition. A little darkening near the edge and on small water spot on the mat - not the print.
Signature is on bottom right and 'fine art trade guild' stamp on bottom left. The image is 9&5/8" x 13". Framed is 13" x 16". I'll attach some photos.
Any information would be wonderful Thank you,
Beth

Answer
Dear Beth,

Your print, formally titled Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester, was originally painted by John Hoppner, (1758-1810). In 1785 it was engraved and published by Caroline Watson, (1761-1814). Her stipple engraving had the image with writing below it. There are some out there with hand coloring.

I do not know who George James is, but likely an British 20th century engraver who recreated the image in a mezzotint during the early part of the century. The reason I place the print in the early part of the 20th century is the stamp at the bottom from the Fine Art Trade Guild. The Fine Art Trade Guild was formed in 1910 in the UK to preserve the integrity of limited edition prints. According to their website, only members are able to display the prestigious Guild logo as a sign of their commitment to the Code of Ethics. This indicates your print was published sometime after 1910. The Guild should be able to give you more information on the artist George James as he had to be a member at the time to get the stamp. Their website is www.fineart.co.uk.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley