Fine Art/Original Oil by Joseph Dawley

Question
    In 1959 my Father purchased a painting by Joseph Dawley who was then studding at Southern Methodist University. The painting is titled 'Coffee House.' It is not at all in the style of his later work being I think a student project.
    He has become quite well know and am honored to have the piece. However now that the artist is in a nursing home,  should I try to authenticate this work in some way; and if so how? Not being in the artist style, is it really worth anything that I should insure?  I could sent you a .jpg of the painting by e-mail if requested.

Thank you for your advice,

Tim Green

Answer
Dear Tim,

You appear to have a clear provenance of the painting and this is what will be important in the future. You should document how your father acquired the painting and that is was purchased while the artist was still in school.

There is a gallery in New Jersey, The Artful Deposit (www.artfuldeposit.com), that handles the artists work. You may want to contact and email a photo of the painting to them. They should be interested in seeing his early work and open to discussing it's possible value.

I would love to see a photo of it if it is not a problem. You can email it to dolly12@aol.com.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley