Fine Art/Original Oil by Joseph Dawley

In 1959 my Father purchased a painting by Joseph Dawley who was then studding at Southern Methodist University. The painting is titled 'Coffee House.' It is not at all in the style of his later work being I think a student project.
    He has become quite well know and am honored to have the piece. However now that the artist is in a nursing home,  should I try to authenticate this work in some way; and if so how? Not being in the artist style, is it really worth anything that I should insure?  I could sent you a .jpg of the painting by e-mail if requested.

Thank you for your advice,

Tim Green

Dear Tim,

You appear to have a clear provenance of the painting and this is what will be important in the future. You should document how your father acquired the painting and that is was purchased while the artist was still in school.

There is a gallery in New Jersey, The Artful Deposit (, that handles the artists work. You may want to contact and email a photo of the painting to them. They should be interested in seeing his early work and open to discussing it's possible value.

I would love to see a photo of it if it is not a problem. You can email it to

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.