Fine Art/Peter Hayward oil painting.

Question
QUESTION: I recently sold a painting to someone who said it was a fake, they said the framer said it was done in oilo- inpasto.  He also said that christies had a representative in melbourne Australia who would evaluate your item. He said Christies said that they didn't know enough about the artist to spend the time.  I called christies and they said they had no one  linked with christies in Australia.  I am confused, what is he trying to pull off?  He said that he had someone use a UV light and could see the pixils of the printer.  When I first got this picture, I examined it with a loop and saw nothing He said that the oil-inpasto was used 20 years ago. And 40 years ago they didn't use staples.  I would appreciate any help you can give me.

ANSWER: Dear Alma Slocumb

First of all Christies do have regional offices in Australia but NOT in Melbourne. They have one in Victoria and in Sidney. Also you can be sure that you would have seen it with a loop if there had been pixels. It sounds like he is trying to cheat you especially when he is telling you he showed the painting to Christies staff in Melbourne.

Hope you find out what to do.

Best Regards, Soren

greenwich village by peter Hayward
greenwich village by p  
QUESTION: what is oil-inpasto? was supposed to have been used 20 years ago.

Answer
I think he means oil impasto.

Something about the tecnique:
Impasto is a term used to describe oil paint that is applied in thick layers by either a painting knife or a brush. To get this thick layering the oil paint needs to be of a buttery consistency with little or no turpentine added. One can even add a specially made thickening medium such as Oleopasta to improve the thickness of the paint without increasing the drying time of the oil painting.

In an impasto oil painting the emphasis is on surface texture with the thick oil paint pretruding from the surface of the support; breaking the two-dimensional quality of the oil painting and giving it a sense of movement and energy. The thick layers of oil paint can also be pushed into a variety of shapes and textures using bands of creamy paint, ridges, dots, irregular lines of varying widths and any other textural effects that you would like to create. The marks you make with your brush is retained by the thick oil paint and this can become an important expressive part of your oil painting.

Some oil paintings are painted entirely in impasto while other artist choose to use it only in certain areas of the painting. Generally impasto oil paintings are painted from dark to light or light over dark. While painting knives are good for laying in broad areas of impasto oil paint, the painting brush is more suitable for adding smaller areas of imp[asto paint. Whichever implement you choose to use experiment using different sides of it and holding it in various angles to create interesting textures.

It is true that it was more commonly used 20 years ago, but there are still a lot of painters who like the effekts the impasto oil gives especially the feeling of a 3D painting.

Best Regards, Soren

Søren Holmstrup