Fine Art/Charles Lantz "For Hire" in Color Serigraph

Lonn wrote at 2008-12-04 07:30:17
I purchased a Charles Lantz, "Mixed Media" (looks to be ink and water color)  titled; "Riley MPH"

Picture is of a 1920s roadster and BiPlane in background. I purchased it at a fundraiser auction from Patrician Galleries back in the '70's

It is pencil signed, 11 of 100. It has a certificate of authenticity attached.  I think I paid about $350 at the auction.

wayneb wrote at 2009-12-11 00:19:55
I too have the Charles Lantz "For Hire" pair, from Patrician Galleries.  They were a gallery in Southern California (I was there when my parents purchased the "For Hire" pair).

Similarly curious as to the value of the pair.

Brian Scott wrote at 2010-11-02 06:01:12
I have the 1909 Ford by Charles lantz# 181/200 would like additional paintings or sell this one. Still in original frame with certificate of authenticity.

Chuck Lantz wrote at 2011-02-01 11:11:29
I'm fairly certain I can help on this one, unless there's another "Chuck Lantz" out there who did a set of serigraphs titled "For Hire".

The serigraphs were printed by a screen printing group called "Frame, Frog and Pickle", which was owned by Patrician Publications. The serigraphs you own were from an edition printed using two original guache/watercolors as models. I did the originals under commission from John Ruccione, a Ford classic car collector from Palos Verde, California, sometime in the 1970's. John specialized in collecting early Fords, and the delivery truck in "For Hire" was one of his favorites.

At that time I was doing a lot of commission work in gauche for car and airplane collectors, but the intense detail of the work (I often used the smallest brushes available for some of the detail), plus the equally intense demand for perfection by the collectors themselves, drove me away from that part of the art scene into much looser guache work, and into doing my own print-making, specializing in stone lithography.

I only did two serigraphs using original guache pieces as models, so it sounds like you have prints of both of them. I can't recall the exact number of pieces in the edition, but I think it was around 200.

As far as pricing goes, when the edition was released some of the pieces fetched a high of around $500 at auction, but I have no idea what they are worth now.  

Len (former FF&P framer) wrote at 2011-06-29 21:12:38
Chuck, just to clarify --

Frame, Frog, and Pickle was a custom matting and framing job-shop located on Arminta Street in Van Nuys.

The were owned by two individual partners, not Patrician Publications; and did no printing.

They folded in late 1973.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.