Fine Art/vollard suite

do you know who owns the Vollard suite ? thank you

Dear Michel,

The Vollard Suite was commissioned by the French art dealer and critic Ambrose Vollard and was created by Picasso from 1930-37. It is made up of 100 etchings and the entire suite comprises of 3 copies on parchment; 50 copies called the large format on Montval paper; and 250 copies called the small format on Montval paper.

When Ambrose Vollard died unexpectedly in a car accident before the completion of the suite; the edition was purchased by the print dealer Henri Petiet who then contracted with Picasso to sign a certain number of the sets. This was not completed and thus there are a number of the prints from the small format edition of 250 that remain unsigned.

There are probably few complete collections of the entire suite of 100 etchings. You will sometimes find a gallery show that has a portion of the suite from all three editions. I found that The National Gallery of Australia is fortunate to have the entire suite in their gallery.

It is unknown where all of the 303 (total copies from each format) of each etching are located. They are spread from museums to private collections and are considered to be some of the most highly desirable of all Picasso prints.

Since an etching is considered the original work of an artist; there are a total of 303 original Vollard Suites.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.