Fine Art/Chagall forger

Question
Hello,
I bought a serigraph(I do not know the word in English, in dutch it ts called ZEEFDRUK) signed by David Stein. Stein wrote in this graphic this is not a Chagall(in French) Can you tell me more about this painter-forger. I would like to know a bit more about its work and also if his work is of any value.
Thanks for your help,Koos

Answer
David Stein (1935 - 1999) was a French-born painter who become an art forger.
Stein never copied a painting, but painted in the style of the master he liked. For example, he studied Marc Chagall to copy his color scheme. He also mastered the styles of Matisse, Braque, Paul Klee, Miro, Jean Cocteau and Rouault. In 1965 Stein made a painting in style of Picasso and sold it for $14,000. He may have made millions of dollars. When you went to David Stein's apartment on Park Avenue you never saw an easel or any paints as he only painted at night. He was arrested at one point. There is quite a bit more about the artist in a number of books and easy to find online. There might be some value becuase of the interesting story behind the work, but I doubt art dealers want to sell works that have a checkered past.

Dan  

Dan Twyman