Fine Art/Gorter Painting

I inherited a painting which I believe is titled "October Morning by A. M Gorter.  I think it's just a print but I can't find any information regarding this particular title. It is signed down in the right hand corner.  I found information on Gorter and other works he's done, but no mention of this one.  I'd like to know if it's valuable or just simply find a website that can tell me more about it.

Arnold Marc Gorter

An artist of the Dutch School, Gorter became famous for both his oil paintings and drawings of the vast landscapes with which he was so familiar. A student of the National Academy in Amsterdam, he found success not only in the Netherlands but also in Germany and France, winning an honourable mention for his work in 1904, followed by a medal in 1905, and then a second place medal in 1915.

Working more in the manner of the French Barbizon School than in that of the Dutch Hague School, Gorters style and technique were likened to such French greats as Jules Dupre and Henri Harpignies. From 1900 on, a number of his paintings could be found in Paris at the annual Salons, and one was acquired by the French state for the Musee du Luxembourg (although this piece now resides in the Musee dOrsay). Gorter was even honoured and and revered by the French to have been elected a member of the Institut de France, succeeding the famed Fernand Khnopff.

Gorter's influence was not limited to France and Germany, for he exhibited his canvases as well in the United Kingdom around 1914 at both the Royal Academy of Britain and the Royal Scottish Academy. The studies he executed en plein air that would serve him in executing much larger canvases have become very sought after around the globe, including both Canada and the United States.

So it is likley that reproductions and replicas were created. It is common to see low end decorative art using images from artists like Gorter. If you have a hand signed limited edtion work on archival paper, or if you have an original by the artist, it is worth looking into. You need closed examination of your piece to determine what medium you have.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.